Interesting Chiropractic Facts and Stats
Chiropractors are committed to helping their patients live happy, healthy, pain-free lives. The use of chiropractic and physical therapy combined with conventional medicine is becoming a more popular option for avoiding unnecessary surgery and eliminating pain in a more responsible way. A British Medical Research Council study found that spinal manipulation by Chiropractors is more effective than other conventional low back treatments. Here are some other chiropractic facts to help you better understand how chiropractic care could make a difference in your life.
The History of Chiropractic
Chiropractic has been practiced for more than 100 years. These interesting chiropractic facts will tell you more about the history of this safe, effective treatment for pain.
- Various forms of manipulation were used for hundreds of years before anyone explained the scientific reasons for its effectiveness.
- Daniel David Palmer performed the first chiropractic adjustment in 1895, curing a man who had been deaf for 17 years.
- Palmer founded the first chiropractic school. The Palmer College of Chiropractic is still in operation today in Davenport, Iowa.
Why is Chiropractic so Important?
According to the Global Burden of Disease, back pain is the leading cause of disability. This is true even for individuals under 45. Twenty percent of medical discharges in the military are due to low back pain. What else do we know about pain?
- The American Chiropractic Association says that every year Americans spend more than $50 billion on back pain.
- 80% of Americans will be affected by back pain during their lifetime.
- The National Sleep Foundation found that approximately 42 million Americans experience disrupted sleep a few nights a week or more due to pain.
Chiropractic Care Today
Chiropractic has become an important ally in the treatment and management of acute and chronic pain. Ontario’s Ministry of Health says chiropractic is the most effective treatment for the management of pain. Here are some chiropractic facts about its popularity today.
- Doctors of chiropractic treat more than 30 million American adults and children each year.
- Chiropractic care is covered by most health insurance plans.
Scores of studies show the effectiveness and safety of chiropractic for a wide range of ailments. At Health Star Clinic, our team of doctors, therapists and chiropractors can help you discover a new way to treat and manage your pain. Call us today to learn more.